Tuesday, May 15, 2012

eggs&chives :: sew&tell

Prepping breakfast outside.  Gorgeous morn!

Morning friends! My kitchen is seeing a lot of eggs these days. Custard is flowing and scrambles are a constant. Chives are at their peak right now and are perfect for throwing into everything, especially scrambles and frittatas. But what I discovered over the weekend was how well they can be used as needle and thread. What? Yes- I stitched up an overflowing wrap and felt mighty proud of my handywork. How to? poke holes into a tortilla with the sturdy end of  a chive. Weave through the holes and tie two ends together. Makes for a lovely presentation, too. So if you're looking for clever ways to wrap and adorn food, look no further than chives. They're super easy to grow and return each year without any help. Come May, their gorgeous purple blossoms add beauty and kick to everything. 

chive wrap
So as I eat my morning chive wrap, I've been trying to figure out some magic to pull out of my hat. Since I discovered that today's stop on the tour (the one I've been super excited about) has been delayed by a few days, I've been working on some snazzy way to mask my disappointment, so ruffled feathers would show. That's not working for me, though. I am bummed, but I'll take this as an opportunity to breathe and put into practice my new attitude of "rolling with it". The last few months have given me more than one opportunity to meditate on letting go. This is truly no biggie.  Besides, Etsy has such fresh, exciting things in the works, and the post/project that I worked on for them will be amidst all that new good stuff. It's quite thrilling really and will be worth the wait!
****

In the meantime, I have two invitations for all of you who have been writing in and telling me how much you're enjoying your copy of reinvention. I couldn't be happier! Thank you! I'd be ever so grateful if a few of you would funnel those lovely words of praise over to Amazon's review page. Or even click their little thumbs up button. Oh yes, please!  And those of you that have begun sewing, I can barely wait to see what you come up with. Because of the differing materials we all use, the variations will be fascinating to share and celebrate. I've created a flickr group for everyone:  reinvention: sew and tell. I welcome you to upload your project photos. Last night, I discovered that long time reader, April, has been BUSY reinventing! You can read her post here, and she's already added her pics to flickr. Go April!


Pin It

6 comments:

  1. My whole month thus far has been about rolling with it, whether I want to or not. It's hard, isn't it? I can't plan anything at the moment...everything depends upon xyz. If x, then y, then maybe z, or maybe not, depending. Things have been postponed, switched, tentatively rescheduled... and I can't do a darn thing about any of it. (It's kid stuff, so sorry for the cloak & dagger talk!)

    Your chive-tied tortilla looks yummy! I'll be thinking about it as I eat my mid morning snack of yogurt, ho hum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this has been a doozy of a month for you, but once you make it through... June has special plans for you! Can't wait to see you at Squam in a couple of weeks, Amy. We'll "roll" in together! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh you are too too clever! That would make such a perfect brunch dish! I love edible flowers as garnishes!
    Today I suppose I am "going with it" as well. I woke with a migraine and I was supposed to drive on a field trip. My husband (poor guy) is now frantically trying to fill in for me.
    I'm still waiting for the post to bring me my copy of your book. Any idea what day it was shipped? Sorry I'm no good at waiting when I'm this excited about something!!! ;o)
    xoxo
    ~ joey ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's coming Joey! Canada always takes a little longer. Let me know when it arrives. I'm excited too!

      Delete
  3. here's to rolling with comes along and for letting go...i'm having my own lessons around this and wondering how to really do it :)
    xxxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been growing chives for several years now and never have I seen such beautiful purple flowers! I wonder if it is a different type you are growing. I want those purple flowers!

    Anyway, I love the ingenious idea you came up with. I will definitely be adorning my tortillas with chives!!! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete